News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Grizlas
Sea Powah

General

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 15-06-2007 14:54
"A town with 55,000 inhabitants would need half a square kilometre of seabed covered with 100 buoys to power it," says Grey.

A town? how about a whole country?
55,000 inhabitants, check
½ square kilometre of seabed, check
lots of waves, check

http://environment.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12072&feedId=online-news_rss20

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Norlander
RE: Sea Powah

Field Marshal

Posted on 16-06-2007 07:53
They've been trying these various ideas in the Faroes, but it never gets anywhere, as the eventual squabbling over who gets to control it (SEV or the guys who actually think in new paths) leads to investors pulling out. But sounds quite cool actually and I hope these tests work.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 16-06-2007 09:41
Hettar er tað Føroyska felagi.
http://www.sewave.fo/

Okkurt gali við tærra navni...Sewave ljóðar sum bytt á sama hátt sum Ze Germanz...

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Boddin

Regular

Group: Klikan
Posted on 16-06-2007 19:31
Here is another alternative wich has been tried in Portugal. But I must say this is not the best solution just like windmills this sticks out.

http://www.oceanpd.com/default.html

Grizlas

General

Posted on 16-06-2007 22:16
yeah, there are plenty of these ideas floating about, but somehow none of them are quite as elegant as a buoy fastened to the sea bed.

I'm very much for making units of things. You build 1 cell that performs efficiently and produces a small output and then you build thousands of those units. The advantages of such systems over big complex ones are that they are more robust, more reliable, easier to fix and easier to mass-produce.

This is the best wave idea I've heard yet and I really hope these tests go well.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 17-06-2007 07:19
grizlas wrote:
yeah, there are plenty of these ideas floating about, but somehow none of them are quite as elegant as a buoy fastened to the sea bed.

When talking to some people about this, I initially had this view aswell, they reminded me that the buoy model had the same problems that all open ocean models have. You have parts that move up and down all the time, hence promoting stress and wear upon the parts.

Dunno still if that is enough of a downside to offset the huge costs of turning the whole Cliff into a powerstation smiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 17-06-2007 14:16
Grizlas

General

Posted on 17-06-2007 17:19
Fair enough They'll need moving parts and that will produce tear. But isn't that true for all moving parts? The ocean might add some erosion and whatnot, but on the seabed they will not be experiencing anything like the wear and tear they would on the surface.

I think it will depend on how big these buyos are. There isn't any indicator of size to be seen in that article.

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 17-06-2007 17:38
The article actually mentioned that the buoys do not suffer from storms in the way that other wave-power devices do.

I once heard talk of sub-surface turbines on the sea floor for places like Suðuroyarfjørð where the current is strong and consistent due to the tides. I believe they have this in some fjords in Norway.

Anyway, what's up with the SeWave plan? We've heard about it for a few years, but is anything happening?

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page