View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grizlas
Messi!

General

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 10-06-2007 12:50
Cant remember if I've talked about this before, but I'm a huge fan of the Argentinean football player Lionel Messi who currently plays for barcelona.

His huge talent has been compared to the likes of maradona:

- now even more so:

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Norlander
RE: Messi!

Field Marshal

Posted on 10-06-2007 18:47
The hand of God redux! smiley

Funny how he commits a foul and the other team gets the yellow card for argueing that the ref is blind. Bring instant replay into Football for God's sake.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Torellion

Regular

Group: Klikan
Posted on 10-06-2007 19:36
Well, professional footballers should know better that to argue a ref's decision so much that they get a yellow card. I mean, how many times have you seen a ref change his mind after protests from the players?

Of course they should also know better that to punch and headbutt each other on the field smiley

Spiff

Familiar

Posted on 10-06-2007 19:52
instant replay should be used. but should it be used every time there is a doubt about offside, or every shirtpulling inside the box.

the ball´s should have a chip, so there would´nt be any doubt if the ball was in or out. and maybe sometihing in the same line should be used for offside.

when it comes down to what messi and maradona did, it is somethin that player almost NEVER get away with and get booked. don´t see that as a big a problem.

messi, yes he is BRILLIANT

nunc est bibendum

Grizlas

General

Posted on 10-06-2007 23:13
I'm all for bringing instant-playback into football. Some of the arguments against it are - as I remember - that it will fundamentally change the way the sport is played, meaning that the poor kids in africa can no longer "just play". I dont agree with this as long as instant-replay is used sparingly. Why not just use it like the americans do in american football; every now and then when there is a dispute.

Heh Spiff its true that players almost never get away with stuff like that. All the more reason why its so phreaky that messi first pulls off that spectacular goal that bears MANY similarities to the famous maradona goal, and then gets away with the hand-of-god thing.

uncanny if you ask me smiley

Messi is only 19 years old. At the moment I'd say Ronaldinho and Kaka are better overall players, but lets see in a few years. I'm positive he'll be nominated as the worlds greatest football player sooner or later.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 11-06-2007 08:14
It's insane that he is just 19...Damn he has a bright future ahead of him...well aslong as he can maintain his speed and technical flair. Also noticed that he is just 169cm tall (or short), which is quite unusual in for a professional football player today. As I remember Maradona wasn't to tall either and neither was another great technical wizard - Allan Simonsen (still the only Dane to be voted the best player in Europe).

Maybe there is something that gets lost when you grow to tall. I'm sure our two resident members of the "<170cm club" will weight in on thatsmiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 11-06-2007 19:52
Well, small players have a low center of gravity, they have more ehrm grass grip if you like.

Why not just use it like the americans do in american football; every now and then when there is a dispute.

Because nobody in europe wants to watch football for 4 hours straight. Actually american football is more commercial and commentators bullshiting, with a bit of football in between, fucking boring I say.

And then there are the people who whine about if you take replays in to football, then it won't be the same it looses it's charm.

How charming is this

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Edited by Norlander on 11-06-2007 20:33
Spiff

Familiar

Posted on 11-06-2007 20:23
since i´m the only one using the web under 1 hour a daysmiley, could some of you find a goal, by messi, for me.

Griz say´s that the similarities are uncanny with messi and maradona´s goal. there is another one where messi goes dribbling from the center pass 3-4 opponents and the goalkeeper and scores. the same as maradona did against england, and they are much a like.

nunc est bibendum

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 11-06-2007 20:49
It's not the instant replays that make the American Football game a 4 hour affair. It's because the game goes with downs, then you reposition at the new line of scrimmage, and start over...that takes alot of time.

If they tagged the ball with a chip + had a 4 linesman in a box with a vid camera, which the ref could consult with if he wasn't sure what happened, it would all be nice and smooth, and only take time when lying bastards like Carrol and Messi try to cheat their way to victory.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 11-06-2007 22:48
To get technology in, we need to get the dinosaurs out of FIFA

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Grizlas

General

Posted on 11-06-2007 23:05
@spiff

you sure it's not the first youtube clip in my post you're talking about?

Spiff

Familiar

Posted on 12-06-2007 20:49
sorry didn´t notice that one. it´s about time i got me self some glassessmiley

nunc est bibendum

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 14-06-2007 18:20
Nu vil Messi betala fyri at Barcelona skal vinna meistaraheiti...

Lionel Messi mener, at den katalanske storklub skal betale Mallorca-spillere for at sikre Barcelona det spanske mesterskab

Fra Ekstrabladet.dk

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Spiff

Familiar

Posted on 15-06-2007 12:27
ja, soleiðis kann tað eisini gerast. í­ italia hava teir betalt fyri meistaraheitir i eini 20 ár. so juventus má hava betalt nakað nógv.

Men er messi ein gpður spælari, so er capello ein forbanna góður trenari. hann vinnur har hann fer..

nunc est bibendum

Grizlas

General

Posted on 15-06-2007 23:20
That's silly. EB twisting everything around as always. What we're talking about here is paying the hugely inferior team to do their best, that is, motivating them to take the game seriously even if they most certainly will lose.

The way that headline is written, you'd think we were talking about Barcelona paying some team to lose on purpose. Gotta love EB.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 17-06-2007 08:56
Still paying another team to try and influence the outcome is illegal, and the only one who is allowed to pay a player is their employer.

Since you're letting your prejudice for EB cloud you're judgement, here is a link from the International Herald Tribune...elite enough for you, or you want me to dig up a Le Monde article as well?smiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Grizlas

General

Posted on 17-06-2007 13:20
Much better article - or dare I say its actually an article.

We all know it's illegal Norlander. It's also illegal to headbutt your opponents in the chest and commit free kicks, yet people seem to do it anyways. Breaking rules is a calculated risk and a part of the game - off and on the pitch. It doesn't surprise me the slightest that there is a tradition in Spain and Italy for this sort of thing. Bribes are quite commonplace in these countries and can be said to be part of the system.

Of course, it's important to have a refereee to make sure these things dont get out of hand. FIFA should punish teams for giving bribes. Maybe though, they could give teams a slap on the wrist for bribing a losing team to play and reserve their energy for more serious bribes -which i'm sure they do unlike EB.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 17-06-2007 14:15
I'm quite sure the EB article is of nearly the same standard, mostly so because I'm sure they know how to copy/paste from AP/AFP/Reuters as 90% of all newspapers do.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Grizlas

General

Posted on 17-06-2007 17:20
maybe you should try to read both smiley

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 17-06-2007 18:13
I have read both, the IHT piece is an editorial, which by the nature of editorials is long, nuanced and filled with personal opinon, where as the EB piece is just copy/paste from whatever AP/AFP/Reuters source they snatched it from. They of course don't have any original Messi quote, but rather just translate a piece run in any of the aforementioned newswires.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page