News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Roffen
Turning activist...

Veteran

Group: Regulars
Posted on 06-06-2007 21:10
I suppose everybody every now and then considers joining an activist group or organization.

But of all the 'good' organizations, which one would be the best to join ? Most of the organizations have something bad about them.

Some don't do proper research, others have enormous 'desk-job' expendure, some don't do anything but being loud-mouthed, and still others are plain wrong and generally illegal.

What organization would be a good organization to join? I'm not only thinking activist, like chaining yourself to a tree, but also something along Amnesty, working the political way.
Are there any other small or unknown organizations that you know of and could consider joining (for the right cause) ?

Roffen
RE: Turning activist...

Veteran

Posted on 06-06-2007 21:12
I could add myself that there are very few things that I burn for, so I would seriously doubt joining an activist organization, but one that I think generally works the best would be 'Amnesty International.' Again, I don't have deeper delved knowledge of these things, so I could be wrong or just misinformed. smiley

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 06-06-2007 22:44
Why are you asking? I mean, if you don't care about anything and you're not going to join an activist organization anyway, why ask?

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Roffen

Veteran

Posted on 07-06-2007 09:11
hmm... maybe there's some truth in thatsmiley I was just wondering what organizations are worth trusting and what people are in activist organizations.

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 07-06-2007 09:34
Grass roots organizations are generally where you'll find the most impassioned people. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone passionate in Amnesty International (not that there's anything wrong with AI; it's just kindof a sit-at-home-and-drink-tea activism). Generally, the bigger the organization, the bigger the corruption and disillusionment of the people.

Activists are generally people who want to do something to make the world a better place. People who care.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 07-06-2007 09:46
Activists is also that weird deoderant that vester and vuzman raided all bodyshop stores for...

Anyhow trolling aside, I tend to agree with vuzman, smaller organizations often have a higher ratio of passionate people. It's not that there arn't passionate people in Amnesty and the like, it's just that it's hard to do activist work for these NGOs, as they often have all those positions filled and are only searching for people to do fundraising.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page