News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Grizlas
Karl Rove emails

General

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 27-05-2007 06:47
Since I dont have a television anymore, I don't really follow the news as closely as I used to, so bear with me if this is old news. It is all a bit confusing to me.

Here's what's happened today as far as I can tell:

Of the 5 million emails that the white house claims to have lost recently, about 500 have now been "recovered". These emails prove without a doubt, that Deputy Chief of staff Karl Rove is directly responsible for "caging" atleast 1800 florida voters in the 2004 presidential election.

Caging works like this: "With one type of caging, a political party sends registered mail to addresses of registered voters. If the mail is returned as undeliverable - because, for example, the voter refuses to sign for it, the voter isn't present for delivery, or the voter is homeless - the party uses that fact to challenge the registration, arguing that because the voter could not be reached at the address, the registration is fraudulent. It is this use of direct mail caging techniques to target voters which probably resulted in the application of the name to the political tactic." - from wikipedia.

here's a snippet from the e-mails

> Sent: Thu Aug 26 18:12:49 2004
> Subject: caging
>
> Total as of today is 1834.
>
> Kelly
>
> ATTACHMENT: Caging-1.xls

Some links to this story:

flick of a Greg Palast lecture (the guy who has the e-mails) where he explains everything.

Greg Palast original story

some blog

Ok, that's about all I've been able to digg up so far. If I understand this correctly (which I'm not sure I do) then this could be HUGE. This makes watergate look like childsplay.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Norlander
RE: Karl Rove emails

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 28-05-2007 00:34
Talkingpointsmemo.com has been following this pretty closely for a long time. I honestly am starting to think that nothing will take these guys down until january 2009 since there are already so many scandals that are worse then Watergate, the Gonzales scandal, illegal wiretappings, trying to coerce the old AG John Ashcroft to sign off on an illegal wiretappings while he was in an intesive care unit at the hospital and had delegated his responsibility to his deputy. Then there is the Abramoff, the Plame and the Diebold scandals and to top it all off a wrongful war.

The US has gone to shit and will take someone like Al Gore to set them right.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 28-05-2007 20:42
Who should take them down? There are many Republicans that have voiced their discontent, but they're obviously not going to seek impeachment as that would hurt their own party, and thus themselves.

The Democrats already have an almost foolproof victory on their hands, and impeachmnet proceedings might jeopardize that. I think they'd rather just sit this one out rather than rock the boat. Also, I think they might be cynical enough to reason that the more the current administration fucks things up, the longer the memory lasts, and the longer the Democrats will reign.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 04-06-2007 10:15
Somewhat apropos:

Rumsfeld's so-called "back door draft" was created in order to get around a real draft which would probably create a (greater) public outrage. In short, this makes military personnel eligible for another call-up even though they have left the military.

This is because there aren't enough people volunteering to jump in the Baghdad Meatgrinder. However, it is now being used for a quite different purpose: Iraq veteran and honorably discharged Marine Sgt. Adam Kokesh has to show up at a hearing today so the Corps can re-discharge him, this time dishonorably.

More about this at the Wonkette, but here is one of the reasons; this is from Alberto Gonzales appearing before the Senate:

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page