News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Norlander
The work of Philip K Dick

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 12-05-2007 16:59
During one of my wikipedia reading sessions I came across Philip K Dick, who I had heard of before being the author of "%3BDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"%3B - the novel that forms the basis of the movie Blade Runner.

What intrigued me is that he also wrote the short stories and/or novels that form the basis of Total Recall, Minority Report and Screamers. All 3 of these movies are far better then the usual middle ground in their respective genres. Total Recall being among Arnold's best movies. I can see the recurring theme of cyberpunk and reality vs. delusion in his work and quite frankly I love it.

Now I see that there are two new movies out that both are an adaption of his stories - "%3BA Scanner Darkly"%3B and "%3BNext"%3B .

Anyone seen or heard anything about these movies? I for one will be looking for them, hoping for some of that cyperpunk delusional magic.

Furthermore anyone read some of his original work and is it "worth it"?

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 14-05-2007 15:43
Vuzman
RE: The work of Philip K Dick

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 12-05-2007 17:21
Don't forget Paycheck which is better than its reputation.

I've seen A Scanner Darkly (Griz has too), but I was a bit disappointed by it. I got my hopes up about it after seeing a trailer (they used rotoscoping to give the movie a unique look, and to be able to manipulate the background to anything they wanted), but I felt that it wasn't that well executed. Not that it wasn't a good movie, I gave it 7/10.

Next is in the cinema right now, wanna go see it?

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

Edited by Vuzman on 12-05-2007 17:24
http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Torellion
RE: The work of Philip K Dick

Regular

Group: Klikan
Posted on 13-05-2007 17:00
Yes, Philip K Dick is a fine author and some of his stories have translated into good movies.
I thought "A scanner darkly" was an good movie (8/10) but I guess you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it.
I wouldn't reccomend "Next".

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page